Sunday, February 17, 2019

A Reflection on Our Profession



Reflection on Our Profession

As Secular Franciscans

By: Rich Backlas, OFS

     As a young lad I remember going with my mother to the local post office, as she mailed a care package to one of my relatives who was in the military.  The time was World War II.  In the post office there was a prominent poster showing Uncle Sam with the American Flag in the background.  He was pointing with his hand directly in front, pointing at you, with the slogan that read “I WANT YOU.” 

     As a prankish boy I would go to all the different corners of the post office room to try to avoid Uncle Sam’s gaze upon me but no matter where I went I could not escape that gaze or pointing hand.

     As I grew older I reasoned, how would this poster be, if the person portrayed was Jesus Christ saying, “I WANT YOU.”

     At our last ongoing formation gathering, we had a very informative question and answer session about Padre Pio and his life.  A servant of God, truly a devoted priest of Jesus Christ, he dedicated his life of servitude to accomplish all that was asked of him.

     His gifts of discernment moved hearts of the mild mannered and the hardened as well.  People, who would normally be shunned by society, were brought to a renewal of faith and salvation history took place.  Padre Pio became an example to all of us as Franciscans to follow his example.  He, as Francis, our founder, become our role models.

    We are called to a commitment to use our gifts, to bring about a positive change in the world.  The challenges we face in the new year of 2019, within our Church, compel us to take an active role as Franciscans to bring about a common good!  While we might question how effective we can be, we must realize that all things are possible with God.

     “And if God is for us, who can be against us?”  May we dedicate ourselves daily, to do His will.  Amen.


Pax et bonum

No comments:

Post a Comment